This crunchy cucumber salad with pickled onions and fresh dill has the ideal balance of sweetness and acidity.
When the temperature outside rises, people start thinking seriously about having outside meals together like barbeques and picnics. This calls for a plethora of speedy, flavorful side dishes. If you’re looking for a light and refreshing salad, go no further than this cucumber salad recipe.
Course Salad, Side Dish
Cuisine American, British
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Resting time 40 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Servings 10 people
CUCUMBER SALAD RECIPE
- Put some water and vinegar in a pot of modest size.
- Include sugar.
- Put the pot over medium heat and whisk in the sugar until it dissolves.
- One small red onion, halved and sliced thinly.
- Toss sliced onions with the vinegar mixture and put aside.
- Scrub the cucumbers and peel off portion of the skin. The striped side isn’t required, but it adds a nice touch.
- English cucumbers should be sliced very thinly.
- Cucumbers should be salted, tossed, then chilled for 30 to 40 minutes after being placed in a big basin.
- Remove cucumbers’ extra liquid.
- Roughly chop the fresh dill and mint.
- Cucumbers with onions and dressing.
- Spice it up with some dill and mint. Turn over and serve.
EXPERT ADVICE ON PREPARING THIS DISH
- Put some sweat on your gherkins! This will lengthen their shelf life and make the salad more flavorful by reducing the quantity of water in it.
- When compared to regular cucumbers, English cucumbers are more tender and have thinner skin. If you can’t find organic cucumbers or don’t want to pay the premium price, you can substitute normal cucumbers and remove the waxy peel before using.
- Add some good croutons to the salad for texture, carbs, and aesthetics.
- Tossing plain rice with the dressing from this dish is a great way to add flavor.
- This dish is perfect for playing around with different combinations of your favorite herbs, such as thyme, oregano, and tarragon.
OW DO YOU PERFORM CUCUMBER SWEATING?
Cucumbers can be used without flooding your dish by simply letting them sweat beforehand. The procedure as a whole is simple, although it does call for some downtime.
Put the salted cucumber slices in the fridge for about 40 minutes to revive. You can now discard the liquid. The standard recommendation is half a teaspoon per cucumber.
WHAT IS THE STORAGE LIFE?
You should eat this cucumber salad as soon as possible after creating it. The texture starts to change for the worst after 2 days in the fridge since the cucumbers aren’t as juicy. To cut down on last-minute preparations on the big day, you can create the dressing three days in advance and keep it in the fridge.
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) water,
- 120 mL (1/2 cup) vinegar,
- 78 mL (1/3 cup) sugar,
- 1 1/4 tsp (1/4 teaspoon) salt,
- and 1/2 tsp (1/2 teaspoon) black pepper
- 2 big English cucumbers;
- 1 tiny red onion;
- 1/4 cup fresh dill;
- 3 tablespoons mint
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING
Sodium 294mg, Potassium 113mg, Sodium 2g, Carbohydrates 10g, Protein 1g, Fat 1g, Saturated Fat 1g, Fiber 1g, Sugars 8g, Vitamin A 175IU, Vitamin C 3.6mg, Calcium 16mg, Iron 0.3mg
DOWNLOAD ARTICLE + RECIPE IN PDF FORMAT