Sweet and crunchy fuyu persimmons, pomegranate seeds, toasted nuts, goat cheese, and pickled red onions combine in this beautiful and filling dish. Pickling onions in vinegar, honey, and salt is a simple way to soften their sharpness and add a touch of acid to brighten their flavour.
Course : appetizers, entrées, salads, and sides
Preparation time 20 seconds
Total Period of Time 20 seconds
Energy Per Serving: 4219kcal
WHAT EXACTLY IS A PERSIMMON???
Fuyu and Hachiya are the two varieties of persimmons available.
You can think of fuyu persimmons as golden tomatoes. They have a sugary, almost custardy flavour. The overall flavour is very understated but fantastic. For this preparation, I removed the skin so they could be used like apples.
Different rules apply to Hachiya persimmons. If you consume them when they’re even slightly firm, you’ll regret it because they’re packed with tannins. Not very appetizing, and it leaves a grainy aftertaste in your tongue. If you let them soften, however, they turn into a delectable pudding-like fruit that can be used in place of bananas in recipes for breads and cakes.
NUT ROASTING INSTRUCTIONS
- Set oven temperature to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Spread the almonds out on a baking sheet.
- Remove from oven after 5 minutes and stir contents of baking sheet. The nut pieces closest to the pan’s border will brown and burn first.
- Keep in the oven for another 5 minutes, or until the nits have turned a darker colour.
POMEGRANATES: HERE’S HOW TO REMOVE THE SEEDS
As ridiculous as it sounds, pomegranates have splattered me MANY times. The method I’ve discovered to be the cleanest is to crack them open in a bowl of water. Get to work, and then submerge them. You won’t have to worry about stains because the seeds will descend and the white pith will float.
HOW TO MAKE THE DRESSING
This salad would also be delicious with a basic balsamic dressing in place of the one called for in the recipe. As long as you keep the persimmons, goat cheese, almonds, and pomegranate seeds in this salad, you can’t go wrong. If you don’t like bitter flavors, substitute more mixed vegetables for the frisée. You can candy the pecans if you have a sweet appetite.
- 3 fuyu persimmons, peeled and sliced;
- 2 red onions, sliced and pickled;
- 4 ounces of goat cheese;
- 1 cup of pomegranate seeds;
- 4 cups of frisée;
- 4 cups of assorted greens;
- 1 cup of toasted pecans;
- 2 cups of red wine vinegar;
- 1 tablespoon of honey;
Recipe For Dressing:
- 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard,
- 1/4 cup of olive oil,
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice,
- 1 tablespoon of honey,
- 3 teaspoons of white wine vinegar,
- 1/.2 teaspoon of cumin,
- 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING:
1g | 219kcal | 10g Carbohydrates | 2g Protein | 19g Fat | 2g Saturated Fat | 24mg Sodium | 260mg Potassium | 2g Fiber | 7g Sugar | 14.7mg Vitamin A | 39mg Calcium | 1.1mg Iron
Download This Article + Recipe in Pdf format