The Mississippi Mud Cake that can be made with this recipe is a decadent dessert that is certain to win rave reviews. This recipe for chocolate cake is one that has stood the test of time, and it yields a dense and moist cake that is topped with marshmallows, pecans, and a decadent chocolate icing. This decadent cake is perfect for commemorating any important event in your life.
This Mississippi mud cake is an absolute must-have if you know anyone who is obsessed with chocolate. This chocolate cake has a layer of chocolate cake on the bottom, chocolate icing and chocolate marshmallows on the top, and a layer of chocolate cake in the middle. This cake has a delectable consistency that is both dense and moist. It will disintegrate while you have it in your mouth.
Still better, all you need to make this cake is a baking pan that is 9 inches by 13 inches. Mixers and other specialised equipment are not required in any way, shape, or form. Simply combine all of the ingredients, then put them in the oven! It will be flawless each and every time, and your guests will beg you for more because they can’t get enough of it.
INGREDIENTS REQUIRED FOR THE RECIPE
- Because of the robust chocolate flavour it imparts, unsweetened cocoa powder is strongly suggested for use in this recipe. In this particular cake recipe, using cocoa powder that has been processed using the Dutch method will not produce the desired reaction with the baking soda.
- As leavening agents, you should make sure to use only baking soda and baking powder that have recently been opened. When you use leavening agents that are past their expiration date, you end up with a cake that is flat.
- Sugar, granulated for the flavour of the cake and confectioners’ for the sweetness of the icing, and powdered or confectioners’ for the texture of the cake. By adhering to the steps outlined in this handy how-to, you will be able to transform granulated sugar into powdered sugar all on your own.
- Oil is the key to producing a cake that is both perfectly tender and perfectly moist.
- When you go to the store to buy milk, choose whole milk rather than low-fat milk. The use of whole milk in the cake will yield the best results in terms of flavour and moistness. You will want to sprinkle mini marshmallows on top of the cake, and you will need a bag of mini marshmallows that is 10 ounces in size. This will give the cake that classic sweet flavour and spongy texture.
- Pecans provide an excellent textural contrast to the cake’s spongy and chewy qualities due to the wonderful crunch that the pecans provide.
MEASUREMENTS FOR INGREDIENTS
For the Cake:
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour (210g)
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (60g)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups granulated sugar (400g)
- 1 cup vegetable oil (240mL)
- ¾ cup whole milk (180ml)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (10-ounce bag) mini marshmallows (283g)
- 1 cup chopped pecans (113g)
For the Icing:
- ½ cup unsalted butter (113g)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 tablespoons whole milk
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar (360g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS FOR MAKING THE RECIPE
- The first thing to do when making a chocolate cake is to get a medium bowl and start by whisking together all of the dry ingredients. These dry ingredients include flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, oil, milk, eggs, and vanilla extract by whisking them all together.
Put the flour mixer into the bowl that already contained the sugar, and stir the contents of both bowls together until the mixture is completely smooth.
3. Make sure to use a baking spray, in addition to a pan that is 9 inches by 13 inches. Put the batter into a cake pan that has been greased with butter and dusted with flour.
4. Baking time should be between thirty and thirty-five minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
5. Butter should be melted over low heat in a saucepan of moderate size while the temperature is maintained at a simmer. It is essential to make sure that the cocoa powder and milk are thoroughly mixed together using a whisk.
6. In the sixth step, incorporate the powdered sugar and vanilla extract by thoroughly combining the two ingredients. Take it out of the oven and wrap a blanket around it while it’s still hot while it’s still hot.
7. After removing the cake from the oven, immediately sprinkle it with chopped nuts and marshmallows, and then put it back in the oven for another five minutes.
8. After you have added the pecans and the marshmallows to the mixture, you should then proceed to drizzle the icing over the top of it. Before cutting the cake into pieces, you should wait until it has completely cooled before doing so.
9. Before cutting into the cake, wait until it has completely cooled.
PROFESSIONAL GUIDE FOR MAKING THE RECIPE
- The cake will have the same dense texture as a brownie, as well as the same flavour that is moist. As it cools down, the sides will deflate and become flatter as a result of the puffing.
- You can easily substitute walnuts for the pecans called for in this recipe if walnuts are your nut of choice.
- Work with the ingredients while they are at room temperature for the easiest and most efficient mixing experience. If you mix the batter for the cake for a longer period of time than necessary, you will end up with a dense cake that is difficult to cut.
- Since using a kitchen scale, which is the most accurate way to measure flour, will prevent you from ending up with a cake that is too dense, you should make use of that instead. If you do not have access to a scale, you can use a spoon to aerate your flour, then spoon it into the cups, and finally use a knife to even out the tops of the cups. You will not be able to accidentally overfill the measuring cup if you carry out the procedure in this manner because you will eliminate the possibility of doing so.
- Powdered sugar for the icing should also be measured using a scale so that the frosting does not end up being too thick. This will prevent the frosting from being unpleasantly thick. If an excessive amount of powdered sugar is added to the icing, it will begin to take on the consistency of frosting, and it will become more difficult to drizzle over the cake. This is because frosting has a thicker consistency than icing.
- Before it can be cut into pieces, this Mississippi mud cake, which has a consistency very similar to that of fudgy brownies, has to be allowed to completely cool off. This will guarantee that the slices are clean and will keep their shape after they have been cut.
- If you can only find larger marshmallows, you can always cut them into bite-sized chunks and pass them off as mini marshmallows. This is a good option to have in case you can’t find mini marshmallows. If you can only find larger marshmallows, this is an alternative that you can try.
- Calories: 751kcal
- Carbohydrates: 107g
- Protein: 8g
- Fat: 36g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 13g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 11g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Sodium: 316mg
- Potassium: 224mg
- Fibre: 4g
- Sugar: 78g
- Vitamin A: 366IU
- Vitamin C: 0.1mg
- Calcium: 97mg
- Iron: 3mg
When would be the most appropriate moment for me to consume this cake?
This Mississippi mud cake will keep its scrumptious flavour even after being kept at room temperature for a period of up to four days. Make sure to use a plastic or foil cover that can wrap around the item without leaving any gaps.
If there are any leftovers, could I put them in the freezer?
Of course you can! The marshmallows will not completely solidify after being placed in the freezer, but some of their fluffy texture will be lost as a result of this process. After being taken out of the frozen state and allowed to thaw, they will eventually return to having a fluffy consistency. Before putting the cake in the freezer, make sure that it is adequately protected from freezer burn by first wrapping it in plastic and then in foil. This will prevent freezer burn from occurring. The cake will remain in good condition even after being stored correctly in the freezer for a period of three months.
Should I completely omit the condiments over the cake?
It is not necessary to use marshmallows or pecans in the recipe at all if you do not like either of these ingredients. Even if the frosting melts, the cake will still have a wonderful flavour regardless of what happens to it.
How did you arrive at the decision that this item should be referred to as a “mud cake”?
This cake was given its name because of the resemblance it bears to the layered mud that can be found along the Mississippi River, complete with rocks. The name came about as a result of the cake’s outward presentation.
Download this Article + Recipe in PDF Format.