This yummy panzanella salad is packed with flavour and crunch from homemade croutons, feta, cucumbers, fresh basil, and a zesty dressing that’s a breeze to whip up!
This salad is substantial enough for a major dish but still incredibly refreshing. Crispy handmade brioche croutons are the perfect complement to the dish’s crunchy cucumbers, pickled onions, and abundant fresh tomatoes.
Course: Appetizer, lunch, Salad, Side Dish
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
A PANZANELLA SALAD RECIPE
- To prepare the salad, remove the crusts from the brioche bread. Put on a baking sheet after being cut into pieces. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on top, then add the olive oil. Put in a 350F oven for about 10 minutes. Flip the croutons over at the halfway point.
- Put half a red onion’s worth of chopped pieces in a dish. To marinate the shallots, add the white wine vinegar.
- To begin, slice the cucumbers in half lengthwise and use a spatula to remove the seeds. Now cut them up however you like them.
- Cube the tomatoes and set them aside. You can make them into big blocks or little ones; it’s up to you.
- Put all the dressing components in a jar and shake vigorously to combine. The oregano and thyme should be crushed, and the onion should be minced.
- Assemble the feta cheese, tomatoes, and marinated onions in a big bowl with the cucumbers. Croutons, dressing, and a quick stir of the salad. More fresh oregano or basil leaves can be sprinkled on top.
- any bread will do for this salad! If you’re curious, a stale French bread is usually the go-to because it keeps its shape and soaks up all that yummy dressing.
- You can totally throw in some butter lettuce, rocket, or any mixed greens you want in this salad.
- if you wanna make it ahead of time, just mix everything together except for the dressing and croutons. Then, when you’re ready to serve, add those in and give it a good toss. Easy peasy!
ANY RECOMMENDATION FOR BREAD?
Panzanella typically calls for dry, stale bread, which is reconstituted with the sauce. To make my variation even more airy and crispy in the mouth, I use brioche bread.
WHAT ARE THE STEPS TO MAKING PANZANELLA CROUTONS?
Remove the bread’s crusts before eating brioche. Put on a baking sheet after being cut into pieces. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on top, then add the olive oil. Put in a 350F oven for about 10 minutes. Flip the croutons over at the halfway point. The burner would work just as well for this. Over medium-high heat, toss the ingredients regularly.
For the salad, you’ll need:
- a slice of brioche,
- half a red onion, 210
- two cucumbers,
- three to four heirloom tomatoes,
- a quarter pound of feta cheese (113 grammes),
- and two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Oregano to taste Salt and pepper to flavour 30mL 1/2 cup white wine vinegar 118mL
To Make the Dressing:
- 1/2 cup (118 mL) olive oil,
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) white wine vinegar,
- 1/2 lemon juiced,
- 2 teaspoons (1 mL) fresh oregano,
- 1 teaspoon (1 mL) fresh thyme,
- 1 minced shallot, salt and pepper to taste
One bowl contains 210 calories, 20 grammes of carbohydrates, 3 grammes of protein, 11 grammes of fat, 2 grammes of saturated fat, 1.5 grammes of polyunsaturated fat, 7 grammes of monounsaturated fat, 5 milligrammes of cholesterol, 172 milligrammes of potassium, 323 milligrammes of sodium, 2 grammes of fiber, 2.3 grammes of sugar, 250 international units of vitamin A, 40 milligrammes of calcium, and 1.3 milligrammes of iron
download article+ recipe in pdf format